Cristiano Ronaldo Hints at Retirement
Source:Reuters
August 17, 2026 -- Today’s top stories: Cristiano Ronaldo Hints at Retirement, Indonesia Earthquake Kills 53, and Chinese Companies Report AI-Driven Gains.
Views
Cristiano Ronaldo Hints at Retirement
By CommonWealth Magazineweb only
Cristiano Ronaldo Hints at Retirement: It Will Probably Be My Last Year Playing Football
Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted that the 2026-27 season could be his final one in professional football, admitting that he will "probably" retire from the game at the end of the campaign.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain has stopped short of announcing his retirement, but the comments offer his clearest indication yet that he is considering the end of his playing career.
Ronaldo has scored 976 goals in 1,330 games for Club and country and is just 24 goals away from reaching 1,000.
He has stopped short of announcing his retirement, but the comments offer his Clearest indication yet that he is considering the end of his playing career.
The couple tied the knot in an 'Intimate and private' ceremony last week, with their five children present, a year after they first got engaged.
The newlyweds were seen with their children in the Vip box during the Saudi Pro League football match between Al-Nassr and Al-Fateh at Al-Awwal Park in Riyadh.
Ronaldo, 41, is sitting out of the match after missing out on the Preseason due to the World Cup, and then his wedding to Georgina in Portugal meant he only caught up with the team days ago.
Reference Sources
- dailymail - Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodriguez are seen for the first time since their secret wedding as they watch Al-Fateh match in Riyadh
- dailymail - Inside Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez's intimate wedding: Billionaire wears a T-shirt to exchange vows in his living room with ex-shop assistant wife in a skirt suit and just their five kids present
- indiatoday - Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement: It will probably be my last year playing football
- dailymail - Cristiano Ronaldo hints that he will 'probably' retire at the end of this season as Al-Nassr superstar plans to 'enjoy what he's earned' after wedding to long-time girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez
Thousands evacuated after Indonesia quake kills 51, cuts roads
A Magnitude-7.7 earthquake struck off Flores Island in Eastern Indonesia on Saturday, killing at least 53 people.
The quake also caused landslides that blocked roads and cut off access to some remote areas.
Some of those roads have since been reopened, according to Fathur Rahman, head of the search and rescue office in Maumere, the capital of Sikka Regency.
The BNBP raised the death toll from 40 late Saturday, and rescue official Fathur Rahman said 50 people were injured in the quake. Nearly 160 houses, dozens of educational and health facilities, and other public buildings were damaged when the earthquake struck the popular tourist Island in Indonesia's East, the BNBP reported. More than 3,300 people in the Sikka region self-evacuated or were in a sports arena, said the disaster mitigation agency BNBP. More than 5,000 people have been evacuated after the earthquake, followed by some 341 aftershocks, is the southeast Asian nation's deadliest since a 2022 quake killed hundreds in West Java.
The National Disaster Management Agency (BNBP) has activated its official media center to provide transparent and integrated updates on the impact of the earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT).
Reference Sources
- bloomberg - Indonesia Rescue Operation Continues as Quake Death Toll Hits 53
- enantaranews - East Nusa Tenggara governor declares 14-day emergency after quake
- thestarmy - Rescuers search for survivors as Indonesian deadly quake death toll rises to 47
- enantaranews - BNPB launches Media Center for verified NTT quake updates
- cnbc - Thousands evacuated after Indonesia quake kills 51, cuts roads
Earnings Reports of Chinese Firms Show AI Transformation Delivers Efficiency, Profit Gains
Multiple Chinese companies have released interim earnings reports showing that the artificial intelligence (AI) transformation has delivered tangible gains in efficiency, cost optimization, and growth across various industries.
Private-cloud software vendor Bingo Software Co's latest interim results showed that the company recorded net profit of CNY4.42M ($656,127.4), reversing a year-earlier loss.
The turnaround was mainly driven by its AI all-in-one machine series, which contributed about CNY 45M in revenue during the period and became a new growth engine.
The company's profit model has undergone upgrading, marking a shift from a single software-service-driven approach to a dual-engine model powered by "cloud + AI" computing power, with an initial inflection point in performance now emerging. In the past few days, interim earnings reports from multiple Chinese companies have collectively sent the same signal: AI has moved from concept to large-scale empowerment and is reshaping operational logic across industries including catering, e-commerce, and software.
Xiaocaiyuan, known as "China's first Chinese fine-dining stock," announced its 2026 interim results on Friday evening.
As of June 30, the group had recorded revenue of CNY 2.903Bn, up 7% Yoy, and profit for the period of CNY 289M.
Reference Sources
The CommonWealth English daily news digest is a service curated by CommonWealth English team with the help of AI tools.
Have you read?
- Ex-Chinese Premier Zhu Rongji, Architect of Growth, Dies at 97
- Norway’s $2.3 Trillion Fund Returns 9.4% in First Half
- TSMC and Sony Bet $4.7 Billion on Next-Generation Image Sensors
- Nvidia and Wall Street Assemble $500 Billion AI Infrastructure War Chest
Uploaded by Ian Huang





